On the northern shore of Venice, on the Vaporetto line towards the island of Murano and Burano, lays the cemetery island of San Michele. It is beautifully borded by high walls and a chapel, with a boarding place for ships.
Originally, there were two islands – the island of San Michele and the island of San Cristoforo della Pace. On the island of San Michele there was a church with a monastery. San Cristoforo became a cementry in the year 1807, when burials on the main islands of Venice were banned. The two islands were connected in the year 1836 when the water between the islands was filled. The bigger island eventually was named San Michele.
A very nice article about San Michele is here.